Rust HDRP Info
April 1st, 2021
There are a few important things to know about what to expect with HDRP branch coming soon hopefully within this article you will take away some info that will aid you or give you peace regarding your custom maps or servers! All the info provided here as stated by the famous Shadowfrax is “Subject to Change!”. So take all the info here as such since anything is possible to be reverted, modified, added, etc.
So how does this change current custom maps?
Well, in short, it is still up in the air. But there are some certainties that we can inform you of!
- Monuments will change and will require touching up/re-applying their terrain/splat/etc.
- Launch site (Train entrance added)
- Spheretank (Large overhaul such as a new under-tank lootable area)
- Junkyard (Massive overhaul and pretty much an entire remaster of the monument)
- Satellite Dish (Many structures changed positions and layout is quite different)
- Military Tunnels (Medium change to blend it much better within the environment such as roads)
- Sewer Branch (Another medium change to blend much better as well within the map)
- Caves (So far from what we know, all cave entrances have had a major overhaul so those will need re-applying terrain/splat for sure)
- Terrain/ground decor is going to look MUCH better!
- Hands down this is the biggest environmental change that Rust has seen yet and your maps even with minor bugs that will need repairing, have no doubt that at least the ground and foliage will look on-par!
- New Rock Models!
- These are hands-down one of my favorite new additions. With these new rocks this may require you to use the Replace Tool within Rustedit. However, the alignment may vary depending on how different the new rock models are compared to the previous. So this may be one of the larger adjustments you’ll have to revisit quite possibly.
- Removal and Addition of assets for us!
- This means that there is a large possibility your maps may have areas where the prefabs were removed as Facepunch may have removed them from the client bundle file. However, within Rustedit there is a chance (I say loosely) that we’ll be able to counter removal of assets via using the replace tool with the new assets such as we could back when Facepunch swapped out the old roof/walls/other building materials with new modeled ones.
- Like mentioned this will bring loads of new assets into the game that we have within our power to build anything we want with! Most notably are the new rocks/cliffs that I just can’t get over. There are also much more including prefabs from the new junkyard such as new wrecked vehicles, construction equipment, grinder parts and more!
How can I access the HDRP Branch to update my maps?
This branch will not be available until April 7th so currently there is no option. But once it’s the 7th you’ll see the options I’m referring to below!
First, open the Steam library and navigate to your Rust Staging branch and make sure it’s fully updated.
Once you’re done with that navigate to where your Rustedit is installed and open the config file.
Once open scroll down until you see the “Rust Install Location”: section then paste in the location where your Rust staging branch is located. I’ll post an example below.
Example of my location
“Rust Install Location”: “C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\RustStaging\\Bundles\\Bundles”,
After that, you’re clear to open up your Rustedit and edit away!
Will the Rustedit Map Editing Tool Be Ready for this?
k1lly0u, the creator of the amazing tool, keeps it well up to date for any major updates that comes out, sometimes even pre-patches so it’s ready for future updates. If you’d like to stay tuned when the editor gets updated and is ready for this branch fully then consider joining the Rustedit Discord for more info!
Find out more info about HDRP as it comes around the corner!
Wheatley, a well-known Rust veteran, especially known for being gifted with Map editing, will also share info within the Rust Map Making Discord of more in-depth info about HDRP, and other custom-map-related news and topics! It’s a no-brainer to join and stay the absolute most up-to-date.
Check out further info about HDRP and commentated video from the creators below!
Want to join the team? Contact me at [email protected] or tag @!Lone#1337 on Discord
Check out more of our posts here! (Lone.Design News/Blogs/Guides)